- We mourn the passing away of Rev Philip Yeung, Honorary Chaplain and Visiting Professor of CGST, who went to be with the Lord on September 15. An online memorial thanksgiving service was held on October 9.
CGST Canadian Board and US Board
- The Annual General Meetings of CGST Canadian Board and US Board were held via video conferencing on October 24 and November 13-14 respectively. Mr Daniel Law, Director of Development, and Mr Geoffrey Ng, Director of Word of Life Ministry, attended the two meetings.
- Due to COVID-19, the 43rd Graduation Exercises had been deferred to be held on October 17 with online live broadcast. President Emeritus Carver Yu delivered an address.
- From October to December, in order to fulfill the online education needs of our users, about 550 titles of Ebooks were purchased, including two Bloomsbury ebooks collections (Theology 2020 and Biblical Studies 2020). Meanwhile, another 180 hard copies have also been purchased to provide a complete support of teaching and learning.
Theological Education by Extension (TEE)
- In the Oct-Dec term there were 1,270 enrolments in our TEE courses. Classes were resumed, whereas the Graduation Exercises, which would be held on November 28, have been rescheduled to March 20, 2021 due to COVID-19. Registration for the 2021 Jan-Mar term has begun with more courses delivered online. Besides seven on-demand courses of TEE online, there are three courses taught via video conferencing which students can participate in real-time.
Word of Life Bible Study Ministry (WOL)
- Bible study classes in Adelaide of Australia and Macau were resumed beginning September 22 and October 9 respectively. May God give wisdom to the volunteers and students in studying the word of God.
- A 12-week, newly recorded series of Cantonese Bible study on “Bible, the Revelation of God and Genesis” was held online from September 15 to December 2.
- A newly recorded 6-week online Bible study in Putonghua on The book of Acts was broadcasted globally between November 2 and December 9.
- A seminar about “Forgiveness in Church Context – biblical-based authentic forgiveness” was held online via Zoom live on October 12. Rev John Tran (MDiv 09) was the speaker, with pastor Yau Wai Man (MFC 14, MCS 03) the response speaker.
- In remembrance of the Honorary Chaplain Rev Philip Yeung and to express gratitude to him, CGST Alumni Association hosted the virtual “Rev Philip Yeung – a life of praise” sharing on October 30.
Online Public Events
- An online forum on “ReMember – memory, identity, legacy” was held via Zoom live on October 12. Hosted by Associate Dean and Associate Professor (Theological Studies) Dr Bernard Wong, Eleanor and Wayne Chiu Professor (Theological Studies) Dr Daniel Lee, Assistant Professor (Biblical Studies) Dr Kelvin Yu, and alumnus Chang Huei Yin (MDivC 94) were the speakers.
- A virtual revival meeting for young Christians on the subject “Making Choices in the Midst of Change” was held on November 6. Dr Simon Cheung, Associate Dean and Henry Co See Cho Associate Professor (Biblical Studies), was the speaker.
- The public lecture on “Reshaping the Mission of the Church under the Economic Harsh Winter” was held via live broadcast on December 14. Hosted by Vice President Michael Chu, CGST alumni Rev Dr John Tran, Mr Allen Lai and Assistant Professor (Practical Studies) Dr Suanne So were speakers.
- Dr Xiaxia Xue, Assistant Professor (Biblical Studies) was invited by Aqueduct project to attend the Online Panel on Global Ecclesiology Forum on September 11. The book The Church from Every Tribe and Tongue was discussed and Xiaxia’s paper “The community as union with Christ in the midst of conflict: an ecclesiology of the Pauline letters from a Chinese perspective” was presented.
- Dr Bernard Wong attended the Asia Regional Consultation Online: Integral Mission and the Public Square organized by Micah Global on October 16. Dr Wong shared a message “Restorative Lifestyles.”
- Rev Dr Luke Cheung, Wilson Chow Professor (Biblical Studies), attended the meeting for the doctoral degree program in New Testament Studies organized by Nanjing Union Theological Seminary from October 21 to 22.
- Dr Pan Yi-Jung, Assistant Professor (Practical Studies), was invited by Nanjing Union Theological Seminary to conduct interview for the third class of the Doctor of Ministry admission, and to prepare for the oral examination of the doctoral theses for the first batch of doctoral students between November 4 and 5.
- Dr Pan attended the 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting of American Academy of Religion between November 29 and December 10, during which she also joined the Board Meeting of the Society for the Study of Christian Spirituality, and the annual planning session of the Editorial Board of Spiritus: A Journal of Christian Spirituality.
- Dr Xue was invited to attend the virtual meeting hosted by the Society of Biblical Literature on December 9, and presented a paper entitled “Paul’s Concept of the Messiah in the Letter to the Romans: An Intertextual Analysis.”
- Please pray for our six candidates who are currently pursuing further studies in the US, the UK, and Canada: Wu Chun Luen (MDiv 12), Kenneth Ho (MDiv 16), Ziyan Wang (MDiv 17), Alex Yeung (MCS (MT) 14), Fanny Ko (MCS (MT) 17), and Louis Yau (MCS (MT) 19). May God lead them and give them wisdom, strength and health.
- In this year full of tremendous changes and uncertainties, we give thanks and trust our God for His faithfulness in providing the School's financial needs. As we embark on a new year of ministries in times of uncertainty, we continue to look upon the Lord for His grace and providence.
General Fund Financial Report
Aug to Oct., 2020
|Tuition & other income||908,628|
|Surplus from Jan to Jul 2020||58,518|
|Outstanding mortgage loan as at Oct, 2020||US$ 764,544|
Subscribe to electronic version of CGST Bulletins
More trees are being torn down when we continue to print the Bulletin. We now would like to invite you to take part in protecting the environment, by subscribing to our electronic version.
From next issue onwards, you will receive an email notification to view the electronic version of the Bulletin. Thank you for making an effort to save the earth!